Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Woodland Fall - Day Two of the 30/30 Challenge


Woodland Fall, 
Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press Paper, 12"h x 9"w, 2015 #4

Bid in My DPW Auction (Starting Bid $40)

Day two of the challenge -- I started this painting in Carl Purcell's workshop last year, and was not happy with the results. The emphasis is to use layering of gradually darker values with various brushwork to invoke a sense of growth and abundance without painting each branch and each leaflet separately, but I was feeling very nervous about painting wet-on-dry and was not happy about the shapes of resulted dark and light foliage. So, out goes the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" and the whole painting was reduced to faint ghost colors. I painted the new shapes on top of this nice soft stain, using stiffer synthetic flats that are 1" wide, let the brush dance on its edges and corners to create more interesting shapes and edges. Much happy with it now! And this is also why I love the 30/30 challenge -- you get to try different things, knowing if it is not successful this time, tomorrow is another start for another experiment! 

1 comments:

Thank you so much for taking time visiting and commenting on my blog! Your feedback and encouragements are things that keep me going with I am feeling down or frustrated... I will try my best to reply to every comment ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way and I am a bit slow in my response. I would like to apologize if that happens...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...